top of page

Reims Cathedral |The only Cathedral damaged in WW1 | Structures Insider

Updated: Feb 17, 2020

<script async src=""></script>

<!-- InBlogArchitecture&Design -->

<ins class="adsbygoogle"






(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});


  • Notre-Dame de Reims meaning "Our Lady of Reims", known in English as Reims Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic cathedral in the French city of its same name.

  • The cathedral was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and is famous for being the traditional location for the coronation of the kings of France.

  • Construction of Reims Cathedral began in the 13th century and concluded in the 15th century.

  • The cathedral, a major tourist destination, receives about one million visitors annually.


Fast Facts🚧

  • Length: 149.17 m (489.4 ft)

  • Floor area: 6,650 m2 (71,600 sq ft)

  • Number of towers: 2

  • Tower height: 81 m (266 ft)

  • Bells: 2 (in the south tower)


History 𓀝

In 816, the Frankish emperor Louis the Pious was crowned in Reims by Pope Stephen IV.

On 18 October 862, in the presence of King Charles the Bald, Hincmar dedicated the new church, which measured 86 m (282 ft) and had two transepts.

At the beginning of the 10th century, an ancient crypt underneath the original church was rediscovered. Under Archbishop Hervé, the crypt (which had been the initial centre of the previous churches above it) was cleared, renovated, and then rededicated to Saint Remi. The altar has been located above the crypt for 15 centuries.


The cathedral’s historic site, which was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1991, includes the former Abbey of Saint-Rémi (begun about 1170 and containing the remains of the 5th–6th-century archbishop St. Remigius) and the archepiscopal Tau Palace (reconstructed in the 17th century).

The restoration was undertaken in the 20th century after the cathedral was seriously damaged by shelling during World War I.

The monument displays a classic unity to which the successive builders remained faithful, through the decades, by conserving as closely as possible the architectural vision adopted during the years of 1210-1230.


Read more:


bottom of page